J. Scott Bischoff, II
In our modern day rush-to-judgment society, people charged with crimes are often convicted in the court of public opinion long before they ever step foot in a courtroom. Despite citizens of this country being innocent until proven guilty, the reality is that in this day and age you have to fight for your innocence.
Fighting “the good fight” and representing people in times of difficulty is my passion.
I pride myself in knowing that I can be the voice that helps a client through what is perhaps the most difficult time in their life. Our team of experienced professionals is dedicated to every client that walks through our door. As a group, we work together to ensure our clients achieve maximum possible results in any situation.
Upon graduating from law school, Scott went to work for the Office of the First Circuit Public Defender where he excelled in providing high quality representation to indigent citizens of Dorchester County.
During his three years as a public defender, Scott represented hundreds of defendants in all areas of the law and served as lead and assistant counsel during numerous trials ranging from serious felonies to misdemeanors and DUIs. Scott comes to Savage Law Firm highly regarded among former clients, colleagues, and the judiciary for his professionalism, outstanding work ethic, and dedication to the practice of law.
Associations & Memberships
Scott is one of the youngest attorneys in South Carolina to have received the distinction of being rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell. Scott is also a 2017 South Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- SC Bar Association Young Lawyers Division “Star of the Quarter” for 2014-2015
- Co-Coordinator for the Special Olympics Committee for the SC Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, 2016-2017
- Co-founder of “Bowling Buddies,” a SC Bar YLD event held every year in Charleston for SC Special Olympics athletes
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National College of DUI Defense
- South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Charleston County Bar Association
- James L. Petigru Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- Secretary, 2015-2017
- Member of the Charleston Homeless Court Implementation Committee.
- Member of the Charleston School of Law Alumni Association, 2013-2016.
- Member of the South Carolina Special Olympics Board of Directors, 2017 – present.
Education & Background
Scott received his undergraduate Biology degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and his law degree from the Charleston School of Law. During law school, Scott was a member of the Moot Court Board and won the Founders’ Upperclass Moot Court Competition. He also graduated with ProBono Service distinction.
Personal Interest & Activities
Originally from Wilson, North Carolina, Scott currently lives in Charleston. A true believer in giving back to the community and the profession, Scott can frequently be found throughout the year volunteering his time with local charitable organizations like 180 Place and South Carolina Special Olympics, and also regularly serves as a guest lecturer at the Charleston School of Law on matters related to trial advocacy and criminal defense. Scott can also be heard weekly on Charleston Sports Radio, ESPN 98.9 FM and 910 AM discussing current legal issues in sports. In his spare time, Scott enjoys playing golf, watching UNC football and basketball, and spending time with his family.
At A Glance
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S. Biology, 2003
Charleston School of Law, J.D., 2008
South Carolina Bar (2008)
U.S. District Court, District of SC (2011)