SOURCE: The Post and Courier- October 12, 2016, Andrew Knapp | Read entire article
If Walter Scott had waited another moment before jumping out of his car, the North Charleston patrolman who chased him down would have learned he had “violent tendencies” and was “armed and dangerous,” the police officer’s lawyers said Thursday.
That could have prompted Michael Slager to hold back, preventing what happened next.
But because Slager knew nothing about Scott before shooting the motorist to death last year, prosecutors said his defense team should be barred from bringing up the victim’s “alleged bad character” during his murder trial.
The opposing attorneys discussed such evidence in the slew of court filings this week laying out legal disputes for the Oct. 31 trial. Expected to draw national attention amid discussions over police use of force against black people, the trial is two weeks away and many issues remain unresolved. Some may be ironed out during an Oct. 21 hearing.
One such issue is the jury. Presiding Circuit Judge Clifton Newman on Thursday signed an order expanding the number of prospective jurors from 500 to 600. As a result, sheriff’s deputies have been tasked with serving 100 more summonses to potential jurors and ensuring they fill out questionnaires.
… Read entire story on postandcourier.com
SOURCE: The Post and Courier- October 12, 2016